Screen recording tool is essential and a must-have app these days as virtual working and online teaching are at rise. They come in handy when it comes to recording online meetings, creating tutorials and academic lessons, or collaborating on projects with an online team.
There are abundant screen recording tools on the web, supporting various platforms and offering different features. Choosing a good one can be challenging; to help you make an informed decision, we’ve done some work and research to find out what’s good and available.
From customizable screen capture settings to different editing and sharing features, you’ll find some good options. Here is a list of top 5 free screen recorders for Windows, together with a few more under the bonus section.
FonePaw Screen Recorder is a versatile screen recorder that records video, audio, webcam, live stream, online class, gameplay, and more. Besides, you can even use it to capture the screen and add text during the recording.
- No watermarks for both free trial and full versions.
- Allows users to check the system’s sound and microphone before recording.
- The Microphone noise cancellation and Microphone enhancement enable users to record a noise-free video/audio.
- The canceled or unsaved recordings can be restored.
- Offers multiple output formats like .gif, .wmv, .mp4, .avi, .mov, etc.
- Allows users to record screens and webcams simultaneously.
- Easily set the record length and the exact time to begin the record task.
- Free version allows users to save only 3 minutes of the recording.
- No technical support for the free version.
- Some functions are limited on the free version.
VideoSolo Screen Recorder has become one of the top screen recording software recommendations because it provides different screen recording modes for you to select in just one click.
Whether you want to record the video, audio, gameplay, webcam, or even take a snapshot, you can spot the feature immediately and easily enjoy making high-quality recordings.
- Supports 4 screen recording modes and taking snapshots.
- Records videos at up to 60 fps without watermark.
- Provides 7 video output formats, 5 screenshot formats, and 4 audio formats.
- Offers video editing and previewing features.
- Able to set record length or schedule a record.
- Able to retrieve the last recording settings.
- Free users can only save a 3-min recording.
- Doesn’t allow to trim videos in free version.
AnyRec is a lightweight screen recorder for both Windows and macOS. You can record your screen, capture an external webcam, and record the computer’s audio or external mic. There’s also an option to take screenshots as well.
The recorded videos are saved in high resolution without lags or watermarks. You can also schedule a recording session and draw during recordings in real time.
- Simple to use with a clean interface.
- Captures video and audio in high resolution.
- No watermark on your recordings.
- There’s a limit on the recording length you can do in the trial version.
- Limited file formats supported.
From virtual meetings and tutorials to game sessions, HitPaw Screen Recorder offers you the simplest way to record your computer’s screen. Some of its coolest features include customized recording, a draw-on screen, real-time monitoring, and a green screen key.
The tool offers you different screen recording modes, I.e., full or partial screen, Picture-in-Picture mode, or recording screen with webcam. You can also capture pointer movements and keyboard clicks and record sound through the speaker and microphone as well.
This app is one of the most powerful ultimate video recording tools on the market. It ships with more than ten practical video recording tools, which can meet almost any occasion.
Whether you want to record online video, online music, live streaming, game videos, tutorial videos, phone screen, online meetings, presentation videos, TV dramas, etc., Eassiy Screen Recorder Ultimate can fulfill all your needs and give you a unique experience.
- No watermark, time limits, or ads.
- Records of entire screen, a selected area of the screen, or a single window.
- Records voice-overs and computer sounds.
- High-quality resolution.
- Users can save videos as WMV (720p) or upload them directly to YouTube.
- Easily deletes unwanted video fragments .
- Removes background noise.
- Wide selection of audio effects.
- Free users can only save a 3-min recording.
Bonus: Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder can record your entire computer screen or specific parts of the screen. With the software, you can shoot webinars, record video calls or conferences, gameplays, etc. via its intuitive and user-friendly interface.
- Records videos in .mp4, .mov, .avi or .webm format.
- Allows upload (and share) videos by URL.
- Allows audio recording along with the video.
- Offers webcam recording along with screen recording.
- Allows on-screen drawing (or annotating) while capturing the screen.
- Offers hotkey configuration to pause, record and stop the recording.
- Allows saving screenshots to the clipboard or in .jpg or .png.
- Offers Project History for quick access to previously captured pictures and videos.
- Free users get a 10-minute cap of screen recording time.
- Offers limited functionalities and editing options in its free edition.
- Its recordings can’t be used for commercial purposes by free users.
Bonus: Ezvid Video Maker
Ezvid Video Maker is a useful desktop or screen recording software. You can record the computer screen to create high-resolution movies with clicks.
This app also allows on-screen drawing and recording specific region (similar to Icecream Screen Recorder). You can also add title, description, keywords, and other meta-info to your recordings.
- Auto-saves the videos during recording.
- Allows creating slideshows with the capturing.
- Offers audio recording and voice synthesis features.
- Allows on-screen annotating while recording the screen.
- Enables uploading the recorded videos to YouTube directly.
- Offers webcam recording.
- Allows recording videos up to 45 minutes.
- Supports uploading videos directly on YouTube only.
- Offers no customizable settings for recording the screen.
Bonus: Atomi ActivePresenter
Atomi ActivePresenter is a powerful software that can capture all or part of your computer screen with superb video quality.
Although it lacks various features (in its free edition) that its competitors provide, it’s a perfect minimalistic screen recorder for anyone looking forward to creating long-time high-resolution screencasts.
- No watermark and recording time limits — even for free users.
- Offers decorating the screencasts with styles, shadows and color effects.
- Allows adding transition effects like photo slides and annotations to your videos.
- Offers a range of post-recording editing options like video overlays, cutting and cropping videos, adjusting volume levels, adding blur and few more.
- Allows exporting recordings to .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .webm and .mkv formats.
- Can’t upload the recorded videos directly online.
- Its free version lacks various useful features in its premium versions.
Screenpresso captures your desktop (as screenshots) and records the same to create HD videos.
With all its advanced features, it’s one of the best premium screen recorders though it doesn’t offer much to free users. Nevertheless, using its management features, you can capture the entire screen or specific areas and even manage your captures easily.
- Allows recording audio and webcam along with the screen.
- Allows using captures and recordings for commercial use — even in its free edition.
- Records the screen in lightweight .mp4 format and allows changing the format to .wmv, .webm and .ogg.
- Offers ‘Quick Access‘ to your previous screenshots and recordings.
- Allows labeling, sorting and editing captures into custom folders and manages workspaces and libraries of your captures (photos & videos).
- Offers sharing features for numerous services including Email, FTP, Evernote, Google Drive, OneDrive, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox and more.
- No support for Android with its free edition.
- Recordings’ max. duration is just 3 minutes.
- Limits image editing features and mandates updates for free users.
- Can’t remove watermarks from images, videos or documents in its free version.
Bonus: Bandicam Screen Recorder
Bandicam Screen Recorder is an easy-to-use recorder capable of capturing a specific area or the full screen. It lets you easily record flash games, streaming videos and more.
The software offers several modes like gaming mode, screen recording mode and device recording mode for perfect recording.
- Saves the recorded videos in .avi or .mp4 format.
- Offers real-time voice recording for creating screencasts.
- Offers live drawing while recording.
- Allows adding watermarks and overlaying webcam while recording.
- Allows adding mouse clicks’ effects or animations while recording screen.
- Bloats to optimize the recording process using hardware acceleration (if supported).
- Can’t get rid of its watermark in the free version.
- 10-minute recording cap for the free version.