How to Make QR Codes in Google Sheets
Though there are many ways you can create QR code for a URL, like through online and offline tools, however, there’s a fairly simple way to create a QR code using Google Sheets as well.
In this post, I’ll show you two simple ways to create a QR code using Google Sheets. One method involves using a Google Sheet formula and the other can be done through a Google Sheet add-on.
How to Generate Barcodes in Google Sheets
Though there are many ways you can create QR code for a URL, like through online and offline tools, however, there's a fairly simple way to create a QR Read more
Method 1. Using Google Sheets Formula
Before starting, decide which cell you to insert the information / URL in and which cell to display the QR code at.
In our example, we’ll insert the URL in A1, and display the QR code in A2.
Go ahead and paste the following formula in A2.
What this formula does is – it takes the information from cell A1 and turns it into a 300×300 (width x height) QR code.
Simple as that.
QR Code too small?
However, if you are seeing a tiny QR code in cell A2, like the one in the screenshot below, that’s probably because you have not adjusted the height of your row.
To make the QR code bigger, go in between rows 1 and 2, pull it down, and you’ll get a bigger image.
Method 2. Using Google Sheets Add-ons
While I don’t see much of a reason to use this when you can easily achieve it through method 1, this approach, however, comes in handy if you don’t want to rely on remembering the QR code-generating formula in Google Sheets.
- To install the extension, go to Extensions > Add-ons > Get add-ons.
- In the Google Workspace Marketplace, type in "QR code maker", hit search, then click on the first result.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the QR Code Maker add-on.
- Now to create a QR code with this add-on, go to Extensions > QR Code Maker > Insert QR Code.
- This will open up a sidebar (on the right) for the add-on. Type in your text or URL inside the Text or Link field, and hit Generate.
- Now click Insert to add this QR code to your sheet. You can then re-position or adjust its size as you please.