One of the best things about internet is that you can find a lot of free creative resources on it. Like all other useful stuff, there is a ton of music on an array of websites that you can download and use for free.
This post is meant to give you a comprehensive list of websites through which you can access and download Creative Commons music for free. Let’s dig right into it.
- Websites to download free sound effects
- Best free audio editors to download
- Websites to listen and share music online
Jamendo’s entire list of tracks are CC-licensed, so you can download and share its music tracks legally. On this site, anyone can register and upload music with one’s preferred license and offer the songs for free or a paid license.
CCTrax features most of the uploaded tracks under the royalty-free section and offers them for free. The most impressive feature is that you can download an individual track or a full album without logging in to this site.
Free Music Archive is a library of legal audio downloads directed by WFMU. Its music tracks are curated and uploaded with CC license, making them available free of cost.
A fantastic site with a diverse collection, Audio Archive has new and old royalty-free music uploaded by its community. The songs are available in multiple formats like MP3, OGG, M3U etc. as high-quality audio tracks.
hearthis.at offers a selection of royalty-free music, which can be listened online or downloaded directly in available formats without creating an account.
Freeplay Music offers over 50 thousand audio tracks to create videos for YouTube. The tracks are free and available under YouTube Personal Use License.
On Incompetech, you will find an unending list of royalty-free music in multiple genres. These tracks are downloadable in high-quality MP3 format.
A non-profit, free resource for music, Musopen.org offers audio tracks in numerous genres for varied uses. The site also allows its users to upload music in public domain, thus free from copyright restrictions.
ccMixter is a place to find free music and remixes created by over 45 thousand musicians, which you can download and use in your commercial projects.
TeknoAXE includes 1300+ audio tracks and adds new music to the site every week, impressively. Here, you can download quality music tracks of all genres.
AudionautiX lets you search music by genres and mood. Here, you will find audio tracks in numerous genres to download for free under public domain.
SampleSwap offers CC-licensed original soundtracks created by various music creators. However, it is not clarified if all of the tracks are royalty-free or not.
opsound inspires musicians to upload their work with CC-license, allowing users like you to download, share, and remix them for free. There is no search option on the site, unfortunately, so you need to browse the music by name or artist.
Mobygratis offers an extensive database of royalty-free music tracks, which are produced by independent artists and non-profit filmmakers. The site has over 150 original records, which forms a great music resource for any project.
Bensound includes a large collection of music which can be used in almost any project. You can listen to the tracks online or download them directly without registration.
Silverman Sound hosts some exclusive CC-licensed soundtracks, which you will find nowhere else. The audio tracks are available to download in MP3 format.
Bandcamp offers royalty-free music for legal use, which is available for everyone. The songs can be streamed for free or downloaded in high-quality MP3 or FLAC format.
Canton Becker includes professional-quality royalty-free soundtracks, which are downloadable in high-quality formats. You can listen to this music and remixes or use them as background loops for creating video games and films.
This is a production music library for filmmakers and media artists, which offers all the music under Creative Commons. On Scott Buckley, you can search for the music or filter the results by genre, mood, album, and instrumentation.
UCSB Cylinder Audio Archive holds cylinder recordings that are downloadable in high-quality MP3 format. Its database includes classical songs, comedic monologues, ethnic and foreign recordings, which you can search as well.
The Mutopia Project offers 2100+ pieces of royalty-free music, which can be freely downloaded, copied, and distributed. The music here is available in a variety of styles and is organized into multiple categories and collections.
audeeyah allows you to download music without including any watermark or such. You will find some exclusive tracks on this site, which have a professional quality and give you superb listening experience.
Tribe of Noise contains a modern music collection organized by its community of professional artists. You can download the tracks for free after signing up.
Netlabels comprise of a fine archive of music collection, which can be freely streamed or downloaded to include in your productions. You can even filter the music by year or media type to streamline your music search.
Free Stock Music is one of the best production music sites that offers free stock music for all kinds of productions. The site adds a free soundtrack to their music library on a daily schedule, which means you will always find new music here.
La Musice offers 50 soundtracks, which can be used in multiple projects like film production, podcasts, video games, etc. These tracks are freely available in a fine audio quality, ready to get downloaded, shared, and published.
SoundCloud is a popular music platform that lets you stream music. Moreover, it also hosts various albums and collections having CC-licensed music. These audio tracks can be streamed and used in your music production. Also be sure to check out its royaly free music section.
- YouTube Audio Library – This is one of the easiest way for you to download background music for your videos given the fact that there are now around 150 tracks available for immediate use in YouTube audio libraries. YouTube users can use the royalty-free instrumental audio tracks both in and outside of YouTube.
- CASH Music – CASH Music is a non-profit organization that hosts digital tools for musicians and labels to share their music. The digital tool allows for uploads and downloads of songs and sharing is made easy.
- SonicsSquirrel – A good source where over 15,000 tracks are being downloaded daily. SonicsSquirrel is a platform for netlabel music distribution with the aim to promote free music and making the work of its artists available to the public easily.
- SoundShiva – Another site to for netlabel music, sortable by genre. Just read the creative common license and download away. SoundShiva relies on community donation to keep going in return for promoting fresh tunes by new artists on one easily accessible platform.
- Community Audio – This archive that was known as Open Source Audio has been renamed to Community Audio. It contains many audio files that are licensed under a Creative Commons. The entire site is known as The Internet Archive, a non-profit internet library for everyone to access historical collections in digital format. In the community audio section you can download all kinds of audio files, ranging from the blues, country, electronic, experimental, hip-hop, indie, jazz, rock and spoken word.
- Freesound – Freesound is a collaborative database for Creative Commons Licensed sounds. This database here is filled with sound-effect such as ambient noises, synthesized sounds and sounds produced by musical instruments. Browse, download and share sounds on Freesound; you can also upload your own audio clips to their database after registering for an account on the website.
- BeatPick – On BeatPick, you have a music player kind of interface where you can listen to any song on a list. To download any song from the website, you’ll have to register for an acount. Most of the clips are instrumental, with very little vocal input. The clips also come with descriptions of what it sounds like, which can be useful to match to whatever the theme your clip is.
- iBeat – If you’re looking for some free beats and loops, iBeat has a wide database of clips which are free under Creative Commons licensing. The beats available come in a variety of genres such as rock beats, hip hop beats and even acoustic or electronic beats. No registration required.
- Midnight Cassette System – The Midnight Cassette System is a collection of music made using a portable music device MadPlayer. The recordings can be downloaded for free because the producer Frank Edward Nora decided to release all the recordings under the Creative Common license: CC0 1.0 Universal. There are so far 55 hours’ worth of public domain music available for non-commercial and commercial use.
- Derek R. Audette – Get music specifically made to be used as background music for films and video productions, performed and recorded by Derek R. Audette here. It is not necessary to obtain his permission so long you give him proper credit (please do).
- Jimmyg – Jimmy Gelhaar is a prolific music writer who has composed a variety of music styles throughout his career. He is a student of the piano, guitar and percussion instruments. All the music on his site is composed by him, and you can download and apply his music for your project for free but only for personal use.
- Incompetech – Incompetech hosts a wide variety of royalty free music. You can browse their selection by genre or feel. "Feel" would include things like: Action, Relaxed, Intense or Humorous; you can select a combination of ‘Feels’ and it will check its database for selection matches. Clips can be played on the website and instantly downloaded as well.
- Restorm – This is a website mostly used by indie artists who want a platform to sell their music to the public and have their works licensed under their name. You too can do the same, or download some of their free selection of music just by creating an account. The full songs available on the website can be streamed to help you decide if you want to download it. Some of the artists also have songs in their native language not just English.
- Josh Woodward – This work of a single person, this site features more than 180 songs that are free for download, sharing and use. Do give this generous man attribution if you use his clips in your productions.
- Audionautix – Clips found on Audionautix are released under Creative Commons license 3.0 – you can use the audio clips available even for commercial purposes so long as you credit the Audionautix website. Clips are named to what the artist feels it should resemble; you can preview the clip by clicking it and if you like it, right click the clip and select ‘save target/link as’ to save it to your desktop.
- Purple Planet – Purple planet is the creation of two people, Chris Martyn and Geoff Harvey, who let you use their music for free. You can use any of their audio clips on online videos so long as you link to their website at the description of the video. Their style of music falls under effects that accompany a horror, dramatic or mysterious scene.
- Newsgrounds – This large flash games and animation site has been around since 1999. In 2003, they collaborate with musicians all over the world leading Audio Portal to growth massive. You can get almost all kinds of audio genre on their site and they are mostly under common creative license.
- Phlow-Magazine – It is a magazine-themed site that collects the finest songs all over the web from netlabels and musicians that release music under creative commons license. They provide a wide range of genres such as techno, hip-hop, house, pop, rock and a lot more. Their latest project is about #366DaysOfMusic where they release a free MP3 music download each day, for 366 days.
- Bensound – Bensound is a composer and musician living in France. He has been writing music for a little over 10 years and have had his music featured in many projects before. His collection of royalty-free music can be downloaded from his site with the request of a credit if it is used for any project.
- Machinimasound – The 2 people behind Machinima sound are Per Killstofte and Jens Killstofte. They also produce the music on the site. Their purpose is to provide media creators with quality music, and push Machinimasound to be at the forefront of this industry. You can download and use their free music for both personal and commercial use as long as you provide credit.
- DL Sounds – DL Sounds is a site which caters to those who are looking for fresh tunes, loops or samples to be used in projects. This site has been around since 2009, where even now they are still providing high-quality music and royalty-free music to their customers.
- PacDV – This is a database of free audio clips organised by mood or emotion such as: Warm, Loving, Serious or Lonely.
- CCTrax – CCTrax is a directory of free music. It has a database of Creative Commons license music for music lovers. Plenty of awesome sound track albums are available for free download here, like Alexander Saykov, Baumfreun, Stiver and more.
- DanoSongs – This is also a one-man wonder site. You get to use his wide variety of self-made clips, arranged by genre such as soundtrack, pop/rock band and even techno/electric.
- Public Domain 4U – This website has a wide selection of genres of free music you can download. The genre leads to another website which houses the album and description of the album. You can download your tracks there without registration.
- Orphan Songs – This website is created by Carl-Otto Johansson who is a musician who writes and records his own music. He has uploaded his two albums and a few tracks licensed under Creative Commons for public use.
- Audiofarm – Audiofarm has a wide selection of genres to choose from, uploaded by ordinary people who want to share their music. You can easily download any song you like by clicking the download link – no registration needed. The full song can even be played while browsing for one that fits your needs. By registering, you can upload music for other people to download.
- Sonnyboo – To use songs from this website, you have to credit the owner and writer of the songs, Peter John Ross. The song selection he has ranges from Jazz to Techno.