iTunes – media library, music player, app organizer and the place to go when you want to sync your apps with your iDevices – has recently seen its 11th update, with plenty of improvements and new features. Some of these features include a smarter, more organized browsing experience, preview history, personalized recommendations and Facebook integration.
The new update makes iTunes a pretty powerful app but also a very complicated one, so it’s a good idea to pick up some shortcuts, tips and tricks to help you navigate through iTunes faster and better.
macOS Messages Keyboard Shortcuts
Are you looking to supercharge your messaging experience on macOS? Whether you're a seasoned Mac user or a... Read more
iTunes 11 Keyboard Shortcuts
We are fans of keyboard shortcuts and the trend doesn’t stop at iTunes. Here are some of the shortcuts you can use to breeze through the site.
|Command + ,||Preferences…|
|Command + H||Hide iTunes|
|Command+ Option + H||Hide Others|
|Command + Q||Quit iTunes|
|Command + N||Playlist|
|Option + Command + N||Smart Playlist…|
|Command + W||Close Window|
|Command + O||Add to Library…|
|Command + U||Open Stream…|
|Command + P||Print…|
|Command + I||Get Info|
|Shift + Command + R||Show in Finder|
|Command + Z||Undo|
|Shift + Command + Z||Redo|
|Command + X||Cut|
|Command + C||Copy|
|Command + V||Paste|
|Command + A||Select All|
|Shift + Command + A||Select None|
|Fn + Fn||Start Dictation…|
|Option + Command + T||Special Characters…|
|Command + J||View Options…|
|Command + B||Show Column Browser|
|Option + Command + U||Show Up Next|
|Command + /||Show Status Bar|
|Command + F||Search|
|Command + T||Show Visualizer|
|Control + Command + F||Enter Full Screen|
|Command + .||Stop|
|Command + →||Next|
|Command + ←||Previous|
|Command + L||Go to Current Song|
|Control + Shift + Command + →||Next Chapter|
|Control + Shift + Command + ←||Previous Chapter|
|Command + ↑||Increase Volume|
|Command + ↓||Decrease Volume|
|Command + E||Eject Disc|
|Command + [||Back|
|Command + ]||Forward|
|Shift + Command + H||Home|
|Command + R||Reload Page|
|Command + M||Minimize|
|Option + Command + 1||iTunes|
|Option + Command + 2||Equalizer|
|Option + Command + 3||MiniPlayer|
|Option + Command + M||Switch from/to MiniPlayer|
|Enter||Play the Currently Selected Song from the Beginning|
|Command + 1||Open "Music"|
|Command + 2||Open "Movies"|
|Command + 3||Open "TV"|
|Command + 4||Open "Shows"|
|Command + 5||Open "Podcasts"|
|Command + 6||Open "Books"|
|Command + 7||Open "Apps"|
10 iTunes Tips and Tricks
Here’s where we share with you some of the simple tricks to help you with iTunes. If you have more to add, just drop it in the comments section.
- Use the Remote App on iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to control your iTunes library from a distance. The Remote app is available in App Store for free.
- From anywhere in iTunes, start a search in the iTunes Store by typing something in the Search field and press Option + Return.
- Press Option + Delete to delete the selected playlist and all the songs it contains from your library.
- Press Command + Delete to delete the selected playlist without confirming that you want to delete it.
- Press Option + Command + → or ← to move forword or backword within a song.
- You can use the 2-finger swipe gesture to navigate back and forth between pages in iTunes Store.
- Keep MiniPlayer on top of all other Windows by ticking the option in Preferences > Advanced.
- When a song is selected, press Option + Return to add current song to "Up Next" queue.
- Press Option + Command + S to bring back the static sidebar.
- Press Shift + Command + L to search the selected item in Google.