If you’re a tech-enthusiast but somehow missed Apple’s keynote at Steve Jobs Theater yesterday and also don’t have an extra 2 hours to watch the entire video, then this post is for you.
In the write-up below I have summarized the entire event, however, highlighting only the important announcements and things worth knowing.
In yesterday’s event Apple announced the new Apple Watch Series 4 – a successor to its previous Series 3, and three new iPhone models – iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR
In the following I’ll elaborate on the features of these brand new Apple devices in detail.
Apple Watch Series 4
The Series 3 of Apple Watch already leads the smartwatch market by leaps and bounds, and now we have its shiny new successor the Apple Watch Series 4. Here are some of its main attributes:
- The new Apple Watch comes in two sizes, 40mm and 44mm with three different aluminum finishings – silver, gold and space gray. It also boasts of a battery life of about 18 hours.
- With its new screen that pushes right to the edges, it is thinner and has a larger screen, respectively 32% and 35% larger than Series 3 Apple Watch.
- It has a new watch face that can fit up to 8 complications that you can customize and three new dynamic watch faces are also shipped with it that take advantage of the edges of the new display.
- Talk about the sound, the speaker of the new Apple Watch is 50% louder than its predecessors so you listen to Siri or a certain notification more clearly.
- The Digital Crown on the Series 4 Apple Watch now includes haptic feedback and allows you take electrocardiogram (ECG) by holding your finger on the Digital Crown.
- Fall detection is another cool new feature introduced by Apple in this new series. It works by detecting when you fall, so you can immediately initiate an emergency call. Similarly, if the watch detects any immobility, it can make an emergency call automatically to your emergency contact.
Price: $399 (GPS version) and $499 (cellular version)
Pre-order: starts 14th of September and shipping from 21st September 2018.
iPhone XS, XS Max and XR
It was just last year when Apple announced three of its high-end smartphones iPhone 8, 8 plus and iPhone X. While users were still working their way through the new features introduced in last year’s new iPhones, Apple launches three more iPhone models – iPhone XS, XS Max and XR. Check out their features below:
iPhone XS & XS Max
- iPhone XS comes in a 5.8″ display, whereas the XS Max comes in 6.5″ display.
- Both models use OLED display, or as Apple calls it the “Super Retina Display”.
- Both iPhone XS & XS Max come in 3 different finishings – gold, silver and space gray.
- Three different storage capacities are offered of both phones i.e. 64GB, 256GB or 512GB.
Price: iPhone XS starts at $999 and XS Max starts at $1099.
Pre-order: starts 14 September with shipping date of 21st September 2018.
- Unlike the other two newly launched models, iPhone XR comes in six different finishings – white, black, blue, coral, yellow and red.
- A slight cheaper model compared to XS and XR Max, iPhone XR uses a 6.1″ LCD display with a 12MP wide-angle single camera.
- iPhone XR has a battery life of 90 minutes that is more than its predicessor, iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
- It comes in 3 different storage capacities – 64GB, 128GB and 256GB.
Price: starts at $749
Pre-order: starts 19th of October, and will start shipping from the 26th October, 2018.