Are you experiencing the frustrating ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error on your device? Despite restarting your iPhone multiple times, the error message persists and you cannot access your phone. Fortunately, this issue is typically caused by a passcode problem and can be resolved without needing to replace your device.
In this article, we’ll provide guidance on how to fix the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error screen, including troubleshooting steps with and without a computer.
Table of content:
- About ‘iPhone Unavailable’ Error
- Fix ‘iPhone Unavailable’ with Computer
- Fix ‘iPhone Unavailable’ without Computer
About the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error
The ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error is a commonly encountered issue in iOS 15.2 and beyond. It arises when an incorrect passcode is entered multiple times on the iPhone lock screen, resulting in the same ‘iPhone is disabled’ error that occurred in earlier iOS versions.
This security feature is implemented by Apple to prevent brute force attacks, wherein an individual tries to gain unauthorized access to your iPhone by guessing your passcode.
It is important to note that once you see the ‘iPhone Unavailable‘ message, any further attempts to enter your passcode will be unsuccessful. The duration of this restriction is indicated by a timer displayed beneath the message, which starts at one minute after the initial occurrence of the error.
With each subsequent failed attempt, the timer increases to 5 minutes, 15 minutes, and 1 hour. If more than 10 failed attempts are made, the timer is no longer displayed, and the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error becomes permanent until resolved.
To rectify the issue, it is often necessary to erase all of the data on your iPhone. This is especially true if you have exhausted all of your permitted passcode attempts or have forgotten your iPhone passcode. In some instances, a computer may be required to complete this process.
Fixing ‘iPhone Unavailable’ with Computer
When attempting to resolve the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error, it is often necessary to connect your iPhone to a computer, particularly if your device lacks an Apple ID login or if the Find My iPhone feature is disabled.
To address this issue with the help of a computer, two primary methods are available.
Method 1: Using iSumsoft iPhone Passcode Refixer
Follow these simple steps to fix the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error using the iSumsoft iPhone Passcode Refixer app:
- Launch the iSumsoft iPhone Passcode Refixer app on your computer and select the “Unlock Lock Screen” option. Click on “Start” to proceed to the next page.
- Connect your unavailable iPhone to your computer using a USB cable, and force reboot it to enter recovery mode. Once your iPhone enters the recovery mode screen, return to the software and click on “Next”. The app will automatically recognize your iPhone.
- Select the latest firmware package to download in order to unlock your iPhone. Once you click on “Download”, the download will start automatically. Wait until the download is complete.
- When the firmware is downloaded, the “Unlock” button will appear. Click on it, and the software will begin unlocking your iPhone immediately. Keep your iPhone connected to your computer and wait until it is unlocked.
- After a few moments, the software page will display the message “Unlocked Screen successfully”. This indicates that your iPhone has successfully exited the unavailable mode and has been unlocked.
Method 2: Using iTunes or Finder
To resolve the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error, you can also use the iTunes app (for Windows) or Finder (Mac).
Windows users: You can download iTunes at this Apple’s Download page.
Here’s how to do it:
- Connect your iPhone, which displays the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error, to your computer using a USB cable and enter recovery mode.
- Launch iTunes on your Windows PC or Finder if you are using a Mac, once your iPhone is in recovery mode.
- Once your iPhone is visible in iTunes or Finder, select Restore, and then Restore and Update.
- If prompted, click Next, and then Agree. At this point, iTunes or Finder will restore your iPhone to its factory settings, thus eliminating the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ error.
Fixing ‘iPhone Unavailable’ without Computer
While using a computer is typically the most effective method to resolve the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ issue, alternative solutions are available for those who do not have access to a computer or prefer not to use one.
Below are few methods to fix the ‘iPhone Unavailable problem if you don’t have a computer lying around.
Method 1: Waiting for a while
If you see a countdown timer on the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ screen and can still recall your passcode, you may choose to wait for the timer to run out. Once the countdown finishes, the iPhone screen becomes accessible and you can enter your correct passcode to unlock it.
This is the ideal and only method to resolve the iPhone Unavailable issue without deleting any data.
Method 2: Tap Erase iPhone on the unavailable screen
In some cases, the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ screen may offer the option to Erase iPhone located in the bottom right corner. If this option is available, simply tap it and enter the Apple ID password associated with your iPhone when prompted. Your iPhone will then automatically erase itself, allowing you to exit the unavailable mode.
This is a convenient way to fix the ‘iPhone Unavailable’ screen without having to connect your iPhone to your computer.
Method 3: Fix iPhone Unavailable using Find My app
If the iPhone Unavailable screen does not display a timer or Erase iPhone option, you can still fix the issue without a computer by using the Find My app. This method requires that Find My iPhone is enabled on your iPhone.
Tips: If you don’t have access to another Apple device, you can borrow one from a friend or access the icloud.com/find page on any device with internet access. If you encounter issues with two-step authentication for your Apple ID, this method will not work.
- Open the Find My app on another available Apple device and sign in with the Apple ID and password you used on your unavailable iPhone.
- Once signed in, select the iPhone that is showing as ‘iPhone Unavailable’, and tap on the option to ‘Erase This Device’ or ‘Erase iPhone’, whichever is displayed.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and the Find My app will erase your iPhone to resolve the unavailable mode issue.