There are times when you really like a video on Instagram and want to save the video to your collection, but there is no mechanism to do so. However, there are certain ways to download Instagram videos, but for that you might have to struggle a bit.
So in this tutorial I’ll show you multiple methods to download Instagram videos on your PC, Android, and iOS devices.
Warning: It’s illegal to download Instagram videos in order to alter or share them as your own. You can only download videos for personal use. If you will violate copyrights, we will not be responsible for any actions taken against you.
40+ Tools to Supercharge Your Instagram Account
With 1 billion monthly active users and 50% daily active users, Instagram is more than a popular social... Read more
How to download Instagram videos on PC
On your PC, you can either do it manually or get help from either an online tool or web services. I will be showing you all these ways.
Method 1: Download from the source code
This is the manual way, or rather, getting it straight from the codes. You can inspect the source codes of the video page and extract the download link from there.
Here’s how you do it:
- Open the video that you want to download.
- Right-click on it and select Inspect element. Depending on your browser the name could be different, like View page source.
- Now press Ctrl + F keys to open Find option and type ".mp4" in it.
- The search will open up a section of code. Here, copy the link next to src= (the link ends with .mp4).
- Just paste this link in a new tab and the video will start playing. You can then right-click and select Save video as… to download the video.
Method 2: Download with VideoHunter
To download Instagram videos, you can try using VideoHunter. It is a stable and high-quality video downloader.In this way, Its concise and user-friendly interface will turn you into an expert in video downloading in no time.
Again, you should not be downloading and distributing videos you have no permission to.
Here’s how to use VideoHunter:
- Copy the URL of your favorite Instagram video and paste it to the input box of VideoHunter.
- Click “Analyze” and it will provide multiple choices of output formats for your option.
- Choose the output format you prefer and click “Download”. Its batch download feature is definitely worth a try which will save you tons of time.
It also supports to click the drop-down icon beside “Download” and choose “audio” to save audio only.
Method 3: Download with VideoProc Downloader
Here’s another tool that allows you to download Instagram videos – VideoProc Downloader. But do that note that you should not be downloading any copyright-protected content, or videos that aren’t yours.
Tools like this, is merely for you to download and keep a copy of videos of your own, or those you’re authorized to download.
Upon installation of the app, follow these steps:
- Click the Downloader Icon.
- On the next page, click the "Add Video" icon.
- Go to Instagram.com, go to the the video you’d like to download, right-click on the 3-dots and select "Copy link". We will simply use a CNN.com’s video for demonstration.
- Paste the link back into VideoProc and click "Analyze".
- Lastly, click "Download Now" to download your video.
Method 4: Use HitPaw Video Converter
While the app’s name states that it is a video conveter, HitPaw’s video converter comes with a download function that allows you to download videos too.
Here’s how you can make use of this app to download Instagram videos.
- Open the app after download and installation, then click on the Download tab.
- Login to Instagram.com, click for the 3-dots on the top right of the video post, then select Copy link.
- Back on the app, click Paste URL, paste in the URL you copied earlier, and click Download.
- Select MP4, then click Download to initiate downloading of video.
- Check the "Save to" path to locate your downloaded video.
Method 5: Use an online tool
If you just want to do a quick download without installing any apps, there’s a free online tool / website that you can use – DownloadVideosFrom.com.
In my experience, it is a bit intuitive than others and adds a few extra features that you may find interesting.
Here’s how to use it:
- Open the Instagram video that you want to download and copy its URL.
- Now open DownloadVideosFrom and paste the URL into the text field.
- Below, click on Download MP4 to convert and download the video.
There are also options to download MP3 (only audio of videos) or Instagram photos.
How to download Instagram videos on Android
On Android, the videos are automatically downloaded as soon as you view them, you just need to find where they are saved. Alternatively, you can use a third-party app to download videos without having to view them first. Let’s check both the methods:
Method 1: Get Instagram videos from app cache
To make this work, first go and watch the video that you want to download. Whatever part you will watch will be downloaded. Therefore, make sure you watch the whole video if you want the complete video.
Next, open your phone’s File manager and go to Android > data > com.instagram.android > cache > videos. Here you’ll find all the videos you have viewed, and they will have .clean extension. You can tap on them and select Video option to play them.
If you want to convert them to an audio format, then simply rename them and change .clean extension to .mp4.
Note: All these videos are saved as cache. If phone cache is deleted, then these videos will be deleted as well. If you want to permanently keep a video, then you should move it to a different location.
Method 2: Use a third-party app
If you want a more reliable method that won’t force you to view each video, then a third-party app will do. I recommend Video Downloader for Instagram, it’s free and the ads are not too annoying. Let’s see how to use it:
- In the Instagram app, open up the video you want to download and tap on the menu at the top-right corner (the three vertical dots).
- Now tap on Copy link.
- Afterward, open up the Video Downloader for Instagram and tap on the Paste button.
The link will be pasted and the video will be automatically downloaded and saved in the gallery.
How to download Instagram videos on iOS
The options are very limited when it comes to iOS, but I know a good repost app that also downloads the Instagram photos and videos. Regrammer is a completely free app (ad supported) that will help you download any video from Instagram to your iOS device.
Its usage is same as Video Downloader for Instagram. Simply copy the video’s URL from Instagram and paste it in the Regrammer app. Afterward, tap on Preview to open and download it. The video will be automatically saved in the camera roll and you’ll see options to repost it.
I believe using a third-party is a much easier way to download Instagram videos. All you need to do copy/paste the link to get your video. Although the manual methods can also work well in certain situations. For example, if you want to download videos from your history of viewed videos, then the manual Android phone method is a great option.
Upload Photos to Instagram from Browser
Posting a photo on your Instagram account using your mobile device will no longer require the Instagram app... Read more