30+ Free Web Services & Tools To Monitor Website Downtime
Let’s face it, you cannot be monitoring your website 24-7 but still for webmasters who are generating revenue from their websites, you need to be there as soon as possible to fix things up when there’s a downtime, or else you’ll potentially suffer a revenue lost. For those who are not making money from their website, there’s still a hit on reputation if the site has gone down for hours (or days) and the owner wasn’t aware. You could lose visitors, or worst, loyal followers.
Fortunately, there are web services that check your website from time to time (whether it’s free or paid services) and notifies you so you can get your hands on it when there’s a downtime. Here’s a compilation of various Web Services and Tools to Monitor Website Uptime and Downtime. Full list after jump.
Free Web Monitoring
If you have not done this before, it’s good to start with a free tracker. There are plenty of web services that track your website status without needing to pay a penny. That of course, comes with some limitation and it varies between service providers. Together with the list compiled, we highlight some information you might want to know:
Not only they monitors more than 120,000 sites, Mon.itor.us also offer services like Internal Monitoring and Visitors Tracking. [Read more]
Frequency: 5 mins
Premium Services: Yes
upported Protocols: HTTP/HTTPS, POP3, IMAP, FTP, TCP/IP, more
SiteUptime is a website monitoring service that checks your website at regular intervals and notifies you via email or SMS if it becomes unavailable. [Read more]
Perhaps one of the largest web monitoring service available. Services include Availability Monitoring, Performance Monitoring, Link and Image Checking, Transaction Monitoring, Historical and Detailed Check and Alert Reporting. [Read more]
Site24x7 is the easier, faster and more effective way to monitor the uptime and performance of your web sites, online services and servers. [Read more]
Website monitoring, web server monitoring & server monitoring from worldwide locations. [Read more]
Web monitoring service that allows you to do an instant site check. [Read more]
Services include Web Site Monitoring, Web Application and Business Transaction, Monitoring, Network Device Monitoring, Reporting, Analysis and Graphs, Alerts, Notifications and Escalation, Web Load Stress Test, Multi-User Support. [Read more]
SiteProbe is a tool that checks the status of your website hourly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This gives the webmaster more time to be creative and improve his/her content instead of constantly worrying about whether or not the site is "up". [Read more]
Enjoy the security of always having your website watched! [Read more]
The Killer Web site Monitor is FREE and easy to set up – you can be up and running in less than a minute! [Read more]
Monitor the uptime and performance of your website, get alerted on all problems that effect users, such as availability, timeouts and content changes, before your users see them. No setup or maintenance cost, no scripts to record or maintain, no intrusive agents to install on your server. [Read more]
Uptrends was founded by the founders of OneStat.com, one of the largest global real-time web analytics providers with clients such as Cornell University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Thomas Cook, HP and FujiFilm. [Read more]
Server monitoring for your small business or personal web sites has never been easier. [Read more]
ServiceUptime is free remote website uptime monitoring designed to help you detect website downtime which can mean lost revenue and profits. [Read more]
InternetVista is a monitoring infrastructure that watches over your website 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. If it is unavailable or malfunctioning, you are immediately notified by email and by SMS. [Read more]
Free web-based monitoring service that keeps a constant watch over your Internet services. [Read more]
ServerMojo provides free monitoring service that will monitor your servers web, ping, dns, mysql and more and our system will check each one approximately every 15 minutes. [Read more]
upPanel.com is a website monitoring service that watches your websites and alert you if one becomes unavailable. [Read more]
WebSitePulse is a web-based monitoring service that keeps a constant watch over your web site 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks per year. When it detects that your web site is not responding, it will send notifications to you at all of your designated "contacts" for that sites. [Read more]
Free web site uptime monitor service that alerts you in 15 minutes. [Read more]
Frequency: 15 mins
Premium Services: No
upported Protocols: HTTP, DNS, Server
Not too keen depending on Internet Services? Try monitor your website status with these desktop applications.
- SDL Website Monitor – A collection of scripts that allow a website to be monitored and/or tested. The monitor allows you to record pages by clicking through your site from your browser. These can then be periodically checked to ensure they are available and correct.
- Zabbix – enterprise-class open source distributed monitoring solution.
- Website Monitoring – Monitor all your websites with this free website monitoring application. Sits in the system tray, alerts you with an icon notification and an email if your website is down or running slowly. Runs as a windows service so it will run even if not logged onto the machine.
- Google Desktop Gadget Website Monitor – Watch your website uptime/downtime right on your desktop.
- Nagios – Open Source host, service and network monitoring program.
Free is good, but paid services guarantees more options and checks your website more frequent. If you are serious and want to get close to real-time getting notification when your site is down, we recommend these following services.
- Wormly – Trusted by notable clients like Nokia, SitePoints, etc. Wormly gets you started in less than 10 minutes with price as low as 9.00 monthly.
- AlertSite – Get a comprehensive view of your web site’s performance and availability, with detailed breakdowns of DNS resolution, TCP connect, content download, redirect times and more.
- Pingdom – Monitor your website and servers and let you know right away when anything goes wrong. Get the facts and stay on top of things with Pingdom.
- OpenTracker – Opentracker is a web site tracking tool built for website analysis. Analyze website statistics and monitor visitors online & ‘real time’.
- WatchMouse – WatchMouse performs all server checks from a customer perspective, thus ensuring that your customers don’t experience problems accessing your servers or services.
Miscellaneous ways to track website downtime.
- Build a C# Web Site Monitor Service with Email and MSN Messenger Notification – If you prefer to develop the monitoring service instead of signing up with the above mentioned providers, this article is for you.
- Down For Everyone or Just Me? – An interestingly simple site to check if the website is down, or it’s just you.