Android provides a bunch of security features including a lock screen that helps protect it against unwanted people accessing your phone. However, Android has no feature that keeps people from accessing your apps when someone finds it unlocked.
There can be a bunch of reasons to hide apps. Maybe you have sensitive apps like banking or exchange apps, and you do not want others using your phone to know about them. Or maybe you have non-child-friendly apps that you want to keep hidden from your kids, right?
Whatever your reason for hiding apps on your phone, I have got you covered. In this post, I will share an easy-to-follow guide to hiding apps in Android. Let’s give it a look.
10 Android 13 New Features and Tips You Should Know
Android 13 is the new release from Google, building upon the lovely Android 12. It improves upon and... Read more
I will show a universal method that works across all smartphone manufacturers using a third-party app launcher for Android. Do note that you will get a varied user experience using this method than the factory-default experience.
You first need to download and install U Launcher Lite from the Google Play Store.
Now, configure the U Launcher Lite as your default app launcher or home app. To do this:
- Open Settings in Android.
- Search for “default home” in Settings.
- Click on Default home app > U Launcher Lite.
Hide apps in U Launcher Lite
U Launcher Lite is a lightweight app launcher designed to provide a beautiful interface and a gorgeous set of themes. One of its prominent features includes hiding apps with password protection and 3D & 4D wallpapers.
With all that said, let me show how to hide apps using U Launcher Lite:
- On your Android phone, swipe left on your home screen and click Hide Apps.
- Click the Settings button and set a four-digit password.
- Click the edit button (pencil icon) on the top-right corner to see the app list.
- Choose all apps you want to hide and click OK to hide them.
That’s all about hiding apps using U Launcher Lite. Wasn’t it super easy?
Surprisingly, it is even easier to unhide apps in U Launcher Lite. You need to double tap on your home screen and enter the set password to unhide them. Then, you can see the hidden apps, on which you can tap once to open them.
More apps to hide apps in Android
There are other similar apps or app launchers on the Play Store that can help you to hide apps as alternatives to U Launcher Lite.
- C launcher is rated 4.1 and downloaded 10M+ times.
- App Hider is rated 4.1 and downloaded 10M+ times.
- Hyde App Hider is rated 4.7 and downloaded 1M+ times.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there a way to hide apps natively without using a third-party app?
Yes, some manufacturers support hiding apps natively in their default app launchers.
Follow one of these guides per your device’s manufacturer:
- Hide apps on a LG phone.
- Hide apps on an OnePlus phone.
- Hide apps on an OPPO phone.
- Hide apps on a Samsung phone.
- Hide apps on a Xiaomi (including Mi and Redmi) phone.
2. Should I disable apps instead of hiding them?
If you are not using them, absolutely!
Most manufacturers install bloatware apps that you may not use. In this case, you are better off disabling them instead of hiding them. Here’s how:
- Open Settings and go to Apps > See all apps.
- Select one of the apps and click Disable > Disable app.