10 Viber Features You Need To Know [Android]
As a messaging app, Viber has evolved quite a bit since it was launched in 2010. Viber doesn’t just have the regular features of other messaging apps, it takes it even further with the stickers and emoticons that allows for more customization. Currently, there are more than 200 million Viber users located in over 193 countries. 200 million people have to be on to something, right?
If you’re interested in exploring another messaging app for your Android device, maybe Viber in particular, we have just the thing for you. We’ve put together 10 Android Viber app tips and tricks to showcase just how much you can do with the app. With our tips and tricks, you will find yourself becoming a power user in no time.
Recommended Reading: A Look Into: Viber Desktop For Windows And Mac
1. Enable Smart Notifications
By default, you will keep on receiving every single notification sent to you by your friend, even if that person sent them consecutively. If you find that annoying and distracting, turn on the Smart Notifications feature to let Viber combine those messages into one notification instead. To do that follow these steps.
- Enter the chat room where you want to enable smart notifications, and swipe to the left.
- Tap on Smart Notifications to enable it.
2. Switch Between Conversations Quickly
If you’ve got a lot of conversations going on, you probably need to change between chat rooms quickly. Instead of going to the app’s main page every single time you want to switch chat rooms, there’s a better way to do that. Have a look at the following tip.
- Enter any chat room of your previous conversations, and swipe to the right of your device screen.
- In here you can see all your active chat rooms and you can easily switch to a different chat room by tapping on your friend/group chat name.
3. Block And Unblock Mobile Contact Numbers On Viber
If there’s someone on Viber that you would rather not have contacting you, you can just add them to the block list. Those that are in your block list will not be able to have a one-on-one conversation with your or call you using Viber. To block and unblock your mobile contact, follow these tips.
Block Mobile Contact Number:
- Enter the conversation screen between you and the person that you want to block, swipe to the left and tap on the Navicon at the top right.
- Choose Block to block that person.
Unblocking Mobile Contact Number:
- On the app main page, tap on the Navicon at the bottom and go to Settings.
- Privacy > Block List.
- Tap on Unblock beside the Phone Number/Contact Name.
4. Hide Seen And Online Status
Sometimes, you don’t really want people to see when you are ‘Online’ or if others have ‘Seen’ your message. You can disable these features to give you a little bit more privacy. If you would like to hide the ‘Seen’ status, follow these steps.
- On the Viber app main page, tap on Navicon and choose Settings.
- Tap on Privacy and untick Send ‘Seen’ Status.
To hide your ‘Online’ status, have a look below.
Note: This feature can only be turned on/off once every 24-hours.
- Go to the app main page and tap on Navicon. Next, tap on Settings.
- In here, tap on Privacy and untick Share ‘Online’ Status.
5. Turn off Notifications
There’s a certain time of the day that you want to make sure you don’t receive any notifications from Viber, especially when you’re at work. Well, all you need to do is turn off notifications from within the Viber app and you’re good to go. To know where to look for at the settings, follow these steps.
- From the app main page tap on the Navicon and choose Settings.
- Tap Notifications and turn off every notification related settings such as Show message preview, Contact Joined Viber, New Message Popup, and Light screen for messages.
- Alternatively, you can also turn off Viber notification using the Android settings option by going to the Android Settings app > Apps > Viber and untick Show notifications.
6. Turn Off Light Screen For Messages
If you don’t like having your Android device screen turning on every single time you receive a new Viber notification, you can disable it. That way any new incoming messages will no longer light up your device screen automatically. To turn off light screen for messages, follow these steps.
- Tap on the Navicon at the bottom right and go to Settings.
- Next tap on Notifications and untick Light screen for messages.
7. Delete Messages In A Conversation
If you don’t want certain messages you or your friend have sent in a conversation, you can actually have them erased from the chat room. But this will only work on the users-side where, whatever messages you’ve deleted will only be deleted on your device, as it will still appear on your friend’s device. If you’re still interested in deleting those messages, here’s how.
- Enter any chat room, and look for the messages that you want to delete.
- Tap and hold on the messages and choose Delete.
- Alternatively, you can also tap on the Navicon and choose Edit Messages.
- Then tick on the messages that you want to delete, and tap on the bin icon at the bottom right.
8. Change WiFi Sleep Policy
By default, Viber will always keep your WiFi active on your device to prevent you from going offline. If you prefer it to follow the default sleep policy your device is set to, we have the steps for you. Follow these steps to change the WiFi sleep policy.
- Tap on the Navicon in the app main page, and go to Settings.
- Tap on General and then tap on Wi-Fi sleep policy.
- Next, tap on Use device’s settings.
9. Doodle On Any Photo
Did you know that you can Doodle on any photo that is available on your Android device? Whether you receive it from your friends on Viber or if it’s a snapshot taken using your smartphone camera, you can still use the Viber Doodle feature on those photos. To Doodle on any photo, follow these steps.
- Tap on any photos that you received on Viber app, and tap on the Navicon then choose Doodle on this photo.
- You can play around with the brush options, eraser, colors or change to a different photo in the Doodle editor.
- Once you’re done, tap on SEND to send your doodle to any of your Viber friends.
10. Access Conversations Gallery
So you’ve shared plenty of photos and videos with your friends on Viber, and now you want to look for those photos and videos without going through your chat history. There’s a Conversation Gallery that lets you specifically go through the photos and videos shared between you and your friends. To access the Conversations Gallery, follow these steps.
- Enter any chat room where you’ve shared photos and videos before, then swipe to the left side of your screen.
- Choose Conversations Gallery then swipe left and right to switch between photos/videos.
Author: Nels Dzyre
Nels Dzyre is a tech enthusiast from the age of dial-ups, an Android follower since we had Cupcake, and a gamer.