Like any other device, your camera should stay updated with the latest firmware (built-in software that controls the functions of the camera). An updated firmware gives you access to the latest fixes, and sometimes new features.
In this regard, Nikon has recently released a new firmware for its Z-series mirrorless cameras. Along with some fixes, the company has included the Eye-Detection Auto Focus feature.
To get the feature on your Nikon cameras, you will need to upgrade its firmware. And here’s how to do it – specifically for Nikon Z6, Z7 and Z9 models.
How to Connect Nikon Z-Series Camera Wirelessly to PC
It's quite a hassle that every time you need to transfer photos or videos from your camera to... Read more
Upgrade Nikon Camera Firmware
- Go to Nikon Download Center.
- Search the documentation for your particular product via the "Search by Product Name" or "Search by Product Category".
- Click the Firmware tab where you’ll find the latest firmware release, and click "View download page".
Note: You’ll need an update for your camera only if the firmware version indicated on it is lower than the one shown on Nikon’s website. You can check the camera’s current firmware version by going to Menu > Setup Menu > Firmware version.
- Select your operating system, selectAgree to the End User License Agreement and click "Download".
- Double click on the downloaded installation file and look for the .bin inside the folder.
Note: For Nikon Z users, the downloaded file is named "F-Z6-V201M.dmg" (macOS), or "F-Z6-V201W.exe" (PC), and the .bin firmware file will be located inside the folder.
- Eject the memory card from your camera and connect it to your computer through a card reader.
- Now copy the .bin file from your computer to the top or root folder in the memory card. Eject the card and then place it back into your camera.
- In your camera, click Menu, navigate to Setup Menu > Firmware version and click OK to begin the firmware updating process.
- Delete the firmware file from the card once the updating is complete.
- To make sure that the firmware version has been updated, navigate back to Menu > Setup Menu > Firmware version.