10 Helpful LINE App Tips And Tricks
LINE is a popular messaging app that has risen in popularity. It is so popular that it now has over 400 million global registered users, as of April, 2014. With LINE, you can follow all sorts of official accounts, from your favorite artist to the brands that you love, to get the latest news or special coupons that are exclusive to LINE users.
There are a few things that you probably didn’t know you that could do with LINE, which is why we’re covering LINE tips and tricks today to help you sort that out.
Regardless of if you’ve just started using LINE, or if you’re already a power user – these handy tips will prove to be useful. From unlinking your phone number from your LINE account to improving the quality of the photos you share via LINE, this list will help you make the most out of your LINE experience.
Note: These tips and tricks were tested on an Android device and the steps may turn out to be slightly different if you’re using a different operating system.
Recommended Reading: 10 Tips And Tricks To Get More Out Of WeChat
1. How To Unlink Your Phone Number
Once you’ve had your phone number registered to your LINE account, you won’t be able to un-register it, at least not the normal way. If you want your number removed, or replaced with a new number, you will need the help of your Facebook account, and a backup of your chat history because this involves uninstalling your LINE app first (see #8 on how to backup chat history). Here’s how to unlink your phone number.
- In LINE app, go to More > Settings and tap on Accounts.
- When you see the Facebook logo, tap on the Link button. You will be asked to login to your Facebook account. Accept all permissions required to link Facebook to the LINE app.
- When you see that the Link option is now changed to Unlink, proceed to uninstall your LINE app from your device.
- Then, reinstall it. Here are the links for Android and iOS. Once reinstalled, open LINE app.
- Tap on LINE User Login and then tap on Facebook (login again if you have to).
- If they ask you to enter a PIN number and you don’t have one, just type in the last 4 digits of the previous phone number attached to your LINE account.
2. Prevent Automatic Addition From Contacts
If you don’t want to let those who have your phone number to add you in their LINE contact automatically, this option can be turned off. By turning it off, they can only add you once you’ve accepted their request.
- Open LINE app > More > Settings.
- Tap on Friends and untick Allow Others to Add.
3. Change Default Photo Quality From Low To Normal
By default, any photo you send to your friends via chat room, will suffer from a lower quality. It is a default setting. To change the quality of photo sent:
- In the LINE app main page, go to More > Settings.
- Tap on Chats & Voice and then tap on Photo Quality; change from Low to Normal.
4. Change Your Default Ringtone
Are you bored with your current default LINE ringtone? If you would like to have it changed, you can have it changed from within the app itself, or use your own custom ringtone.
- Open LINE app and go to More > Settings.
- Tap on Notifications > Tone then choose one ringtone as your default.
- If you have a custom ringtone that you want to use, from the Tone list, find the option Others.. near the bottom of the list, tap on it and proceed to select your ringtone.
5. Delete, Forward or Save Messages to Note
There are these options under the Edit Messages feature, where you can Delete your messages, or forward it to someone else’s or have it saved to Note. You will find these features useful especially the Delete feature, since you can choose any messages that you’ve sent before to be deleted from your conversation. If you would like to know how to do that, follow these steps.
- Enter any chat room from the LINE app, and tap on the down arrow button at the top right. Tap on Edit Messages.
- Choose whether you want to Delete Messages, Forward or Save to Notes.
- Select the message you want to apply the option to, and tick them (see shot).
- Once you’ve ticked the messages, tap on the next action to take which will depend on whether you previously chose to Delete, Forward or Save.
6. Start A Free Call To Any LINE User
Just like Viber and Facebook Messenger, LINE also has a Free Call option that allows you to call any fellow LINE user for free. You need an active Internet connection oc course.
- Enter a chat room with the friend you want to call.
- Tap on the down arrow at the top right and tap on Free Call to start calling your friend.
7. Turn off invitations and other messages from LINE family apps
So your friends keep sending invitations to you to play games from LINE Family apps, and those invitations just keep on coming, almost like ads that flood all your other social media accounts. I bet you didn’t know LINE lets you disable these notifications. Here’s how.
- In the LINE app main page, go to More > Settings > Notifications > Additional Services.
- Under Unauthorized Apps, untick Receive Messages.
8. Backup Chat History
Chat history is not automatically saved in the LINE cloud server, so if you uninstall the app, you will lose all your chat history. To create backups of your chat history:
- Enter the chat room of the conversation you want to save and tap on the down arrow button at the top right then choose Chat Settings.
- Tap on Backup Chat History and choose Backup as a Text File, or Backup All. Your backups will be stored in your cloud storage for example, Dropbox.
- If you choose a backup as a text file, you cannot restore the chat history. If you choose Backup All, you can Import Chat History to restore it.
9. View And Save photos Shared Previously
You probably have shared a few photos via LINE app before. Instead of going through all your chat history to look for these photos, you can save them to your Chat Album, or straight into your device.
- In LINE app, enter any chat room containing photos.
- Tap on the dropdown button at the top right and choose Photos.
- Tap on Save at the bottom, and tick the photos that you want to save. Choose whether you want to save it to your LINE chat album or to your device.
10. Share Timeline Updates In Chat
If there’s something interesting shared in your Timeline updates that you want to forward to friends in your chat room, here’s how you do it. Note that you can only forward updates from public accounts.
- On your Timeline page, find the update that you want to share.
- Tap and hold on the post and choose To Chat.
- Choose whether you want to send it to a single person or a group chat.
Author: Nels Dzyre
Nels Dzyre is a tech enthusiast from the age of dial-ups, an Android follower since we had Cupcake, and a gamer.