We’re always on the lookout for freelance and guest writers who can share insights, opinions, and content that are as well researched as they are well written. If you have tips, tricks, concepts, artwork, cool tools, cooler apps and insights you want to share with the web design, development and tech community, write for us. We’re also looking for inspirational, cool, share-worthy and viral materials to publish.
Hongkiat (HKDC) accepts submissions in the following categories:
How to get published on HKDC (A cheatsheet)
All submissions will need to go through an internal review, and here are some of the things that will help us determine which posts we will eventually publish.
What gets approved
If you want to write for us:
- Cite and link back to credible sources/resources that can substantiate your claims and ideas.
- Give relatable examples that help readers visualize the message you are trying to deliver to them.
- Know the target audience for your post and write with them in mind.
- Include images that complement the content of your post (only where possible)
Sounds easy, doesn’t it? But hold on to your keyboard, we have to reject a lot of posts because of a variety of reasons and to prevent yours from being part of that statistic, find out why.
What gets rejected
The submissions we had to say no to:
- Cover topics that are irrelevant to what we usually publish, e.g. loans, choosing a curtain, how to hire a lawyer, essay writing assignments, biographies, science fiction stories, a science journal, the first chapter of a novel etc.
- Are too short (blurb-length) or too long (novel-length) to be published.
- Are not written in English or are written in a form of English that the general population cannot seem to understand. Please ensure that you have proofread your post before submitting it.
- Contain elements that are against our publishing policy.
- Are found to be plagiarized, copied or spun from another source. We respect the work of writers who make their trade through writing and reserve the right to not publish a compromised post.
- Are explicitly written to market or sell a product, tool, service or app affiliated with the writer.
- Are not submissions at all. Please do not use the submissions link to enquire about how else to improve your chances of being published. We’ve already shared all our secrets with you. Be brave and just send it in.
We reserve the right and final decision to reject a submission if the post is found to have problems that make it unsuitable for publication.
Remember to run a format check
- Do submit posts in plaintext, HTML or DOC (or equivalent forms) format.
- Ensure that the post is submitted with a full title.
- All images must be in JPG format.
- All images used must carry a credit line that links directly to their source page, not only the source website.
- Ensure that images used in your submission have their copyright sorted out or are free to use.
- Please ensure that image files are named in lowercase, and hyphenated (instead of underscored or with spaces) like this: tool-name.jpg.
- Zip all image files in a folder named IMAGES.
- The images should be in the highest possible resolution to ensure they do not appear blurry when published.
- Do supply us with your author’s bio, which will appear with your published post. An author’s picture is not necessary for guest posts.
Submit your post
Before you submit, know that due to the number of posts we receive, we may not be able to reply to every submission. It is safe to assume that if we do not reply to you within two weeks, your submission will not be published.
Now, are you ready to submit?