Do you want to try your hand on getting an article up on hongkiat.com? Have a flair for writing tech and design articles and want to have it read by readers who share the same passion and interests? We can help.
Hongkiat.com is accepting submissions for Tutorials (Teach me, Master), Inspirational posts (cool stuff that make you go whoa), Showcases (must.ooze.awesomeness), and good articles related to web design, tech and web development in general.
Actually, anything out of the list is still fine as long as it jives with the site, subject to approval from the editors, of course.
How to Get Published
The problem with the submissions we get is that we have to reject them for one reason or another. For one, we have to reject submissions that do not adhere to our publishing policy. We also don’t really like content that are lifted from other sites or not written from scratch. So far, we can only accept English articles (until we can get a translator on board).
Apart from that, here are a few guidelines to help improve the odds of getting published, based on the submission being articles, tutorials or tips and showcases.
If you are aiming to submit an article, discussion, something that features more text than images:
- Please have an intro, a body and a conclusion.
- Subtitle your main point – then elaborate. [Example]
- Ensure that it is between 800 to 1000 words. (Seriously, do not make us reject a piece over this.)
We love them tutorials, although to make it reader-friendly, follow these few guidelines:
- Make them straight-to-the-point and under 100 steps. [Example]
- Include the demo link and/or download link where relevant. [Example]
- Credit your image sources or link back to the original site where you got the images from. [Example]
A picture says a thousand words, so if you want to feature a showcase of awesome images or illustrations:
- Submit images in a separate zipped file and properly named e.g. "file-sharing-tools-minus".
- All images must be in the highest possible resolution. If they look awesome, that’s a plus.
- Credit your image sources and link back to the page the image was taken from. [Example]
- If it is a showcase featuring apps, tools or plugins etc, do include the download link. [Example]
We Would Love it If you Could…
Give your submission more leverage by
- linking back to previously published hongkiat.com articles.
- submitting in .html (although .doc files are still okay).
- standardizing the width of images at 700px only.
Is your submission ready? Then, click here to submit them. Please do not use this link to enquire about how else to improve your chances of being published. We’ve already shared all our secrets with you.
Best of luck and happy writing!