How To Install 2 Different Versions of Firefox On Mac
[Mac only] Are you eager to try out the latest Firefox 3 beta but not ready to give up on your Firefox 2 yet? Normally when a new version of Firefox gets installed, it’ll replace the current version in the machine and it practically makes reverting a tedious task. Here’s how you can get a taste of the latest Firefox 3 beta and still keep your Firefox 2 together with its profile settings and bookmarks working perfectly fine; in short, keeping 2 versions of Firefox in Mac.
Assuming you already have a Firefox 2 installed in your Mac:
- Download latest Firefox 3 beta.
- Double click to launch the installation dialog.
- Drag the Firefox application to desktop (instead of Application folder)
- Rename it to something else, Firefox-3-beta.app for instance.
- Now drag the renamed Firefox 3 back into Application folder.
Double click on Firefox 3 and viola, it’s running with Firefox 2 safely untouched. To revert back to Firefox 2, just delete the Firefox 3 app.
This post is published by a Hongkiat.com staff (editors, interns, sometimes Hongkiat Lim himself) or a guest contributor.