How To Rip DVD In Windows, Mac or Linux
You got a DVD, or any DVD quality video that you want to rip and you need an application that handles all kinds of output; whether a iPhone/iPod compatible format, Apple TV, normal TV, PSP, etc. You are indeed looking for Handbrake. Handbrake is a open-source, GPL-licensed DVD-MP4 converter that you can download and use cross platform, regardless of Windows, Mac or Linux. Best of all, it’s free.
Handbrake is fairly easy to use. All you need to do is insert the DVD (or manually locate your source), select the format of output and click ‘Play‘. The application will do the rest.
- Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (encrypted or unencrypted, but protection methods other than CSS are not supported and must be handled externally with third-party software), and some .VOB and .TS files
- PAL or NTSC
- AC-3, DTS, LPCM or MPEG audio tracks
- File format: MP4, MKV, AVI or OGM
- Video: MPEG-4 or H.264 (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer/rate encoding)
- Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)
This post is published by a Hongkiat.com staff (editors, interns, sometimes Hongkiat Lim himself) or a guest contributor.